Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pink Perfection: a cocktail for spring

I've been away, hiding in my cave waiting for winter to finally pass, and it looks like it might actually be over. Today is windy and cloudy, but in the 60s. I might even manage to get work done in the garden! Shocking.

I've been keeping alive in my over-winter cave through the use of comfort foods and cocktails. This winter's new discovery, the Greyhound, was very good at reminding me during the darkest days that early spring was on its way. I have The Kitchn to thank for introducing me to this potion of excellence. Delicate, simple, and pretty, the Greyhound uses fresh grapefruit, which this is the best season for, and vodka to make pale pink perfection.

Besides, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice has some sort of magical property that makes it probably the most refreshing thing you have put in your mouth. Get into it.

Greyhound

Fresh squeezed = madly superior to store bought. Don't even go there.

This will make two cocktails.

Ingredients:
Vodka
1 grapefruit
Ice

Tools:
Hand juicer
Jigger

Get two old fashioned glasses and put 3-4 ice cubes in each, or, if you are super fancy, an ice sphere. Set aside. Cut your grapefruit in half and juice the first half. Pour this juice into the first glass. Squeeze the second half & pour into the second glass. Pour one jigger (mine is 4cl) of vodka into each glass. Stir, sip, sigh.

Variation: the Salty Dog.

Before adding the wet works, salt the rim of each glass.

3 comments:

  1. That's weird, I've always made Greyhounds with gin. You'd be surprised how much the flavor of grapefruit complements gin--you should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She made me one last night. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @zemmely: My mom is a gin drinker. I'll definitely have to try that variation for her!

    ReplyDelete